Before your trip
What to bring
- Eyewear (sunglasses / glasses) are recommended year round.
- Warm clothes, jacket, hat and gloves are strongly recommended in winter (although the hand rails on the jet boats are heated).
For safety reasons, the use of handheld personal cameras and video cameras are not permitted aboard the jet boats.
- A minimum height of 1 metre applies. Shotover Jet reserves the right to extend the minimum height to 1.2 metres in certain river conditions, to ensure passenger safety.
- Children under 5 years old who meet the minimum height limit are free with a fare paying adult, but a ticket still needs to be issued.
- Child fares apply to children aged 5 - 15.
- All children (0-15) must travel with a fare paying adult aged 16 years and older.
- Unfortunately if you are pregnant we do not recommend that you ride on the jet boat.
- Please speak with one of our team if you have any medical conditions including back or neck problems and they will assess your suitability.
- If for any reason, medical or otherwise, you are unable to get into and out of the jet boat without assistance, you are required to have two support people who are able to get you in and out and they must also be booked on your trip.
- We don’t have a weight limit but you must be able to fit into one of our life jackets to ride and you must be able to get into and out of the jet boat per above. We do have larger sizes available.
You will need to be at Shotover Jet at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure. Shotover Jet is located at Arthurs Point, 7km from Queenstown. There is plenty of car parking at our base.
Shotover Jet provide a free transport service from The Station Information Centre (25 Shotover Street) to the Shotover Jet Base.
If you are catching the shuttle, please arrive at The Station at least 60 minutes prior to your scheduled boat departure time. The shuttle takes 10-15 minutes to get to the Shotover Jet base.
As shuttle capacity is limited, please ensure you have ample time to get to your boat. For groups of 10+ it is highly recommended that you contact us prior to arrange transport.
How to get to Shotover Jet
Drive up Shotover Street (with Lake Wakatipu behind you) and onto Gorge Road. Travel along Gorge Road towards Arthurs Point and Coronet Peak. Carry on until you come to a large one lane bridge, ‘Edith Cavell Bridge’, cross this and the Shotover Jet entry is immediately on your left after you’ve crossed.
Operating times and weather conditions
Shotover Jet operates every day of the year (weather and river conditions permitting) except Christmas day.
- Free wifi
- Baby change area
- Disabled parking and access
- Plenty of outdoor seating/space to watch the jet boats or enjoy the stunning surrounds
- Retail shop
- Video and photography service
- There is dining next door at Canyon Food & Brew Co
Anyone is welcome to visit our river base and watch the jet boats. Spectators are welcome to use the complimentary shuttle service if there is space.